I’m trying to get into Twitter. It seems like all the cool kids are doing it. I got an account (mrs_abbywhatsit), but I really haven’t been active on it. Then it occurred to me today that it might be a good place to put all of those random thoughts that occur to me throughout the day that I have no one to tell because I’m home by myself. So, I’m going to try it. We’ll see how it goes!
I wanted to give something to my advisor to thank him for all of his years of putting up with my shit, not throwing me out when I had horrible depression, being such a great guy. I decided to make this:
This very cleverly designed DNA scarf (notice the base pairing between the helices) seemed like the perfect gift. I found it here. It’s about halfway done. It’s not the easiest pattern in the world, you really need to pay attention to what you are doing, but I think a fearless beginner could tackle it.
About writing a draft of her thesis, R said, “It was like braiding a sasquatch.”
- Title page and copyright
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 3
- Appendix B
Waiting on Advisor comments:
- Chapter 2
- Appendix A
Waiting on complete compilation of thesis:
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures
Only thing left to write:
- Acknowledgements (Note: “acknowledgments” is correct for the wordpress spell check and “acknowledgEments” is correct for the MSWord spell check. Both are correct according to the dictionary.)
Today, I spent a great deal of time on formatting. I’ve got everything in one big document now except for the stuff that I’m waiting for Advisor to send me. I figured out how to make MSWord automatically generate a Table of Contents and a List of Figures which took WAAAYYY longer than it should have. Since the page numbers won’t be right until I get every chapter and appendix in there, I’m waiting on those for the end. Which means, there’s nothing I can do except write the acknowledg(e)ments.
I should feel good about this, but I’m just anxious about the stuff I haven’t gotten back from Advisor yet.
- Title page–not started
- Table of Contents–GRRRRRRRRR!
- List of Figures–not started
- Chapter 1–still needs a figure
- Chapter 2–WHEN WILL MY ADVISOR EVER GET BACK TO ME ABOUT CHAPTER 2?!?!?!
- Chapter 3–need to make one wording change
- Appendix A–Written, waiting to hear from Advisor
- Appendix B–DONE
- References–just need to go over them to make sure there’s no errors
- Compiling it all into one document and formatting and shit–10% done
I have a date and time for my defense. April 29 at 2:00.
I feel a little queasy.
- Scale bars
- Page numbers
State of the Thesis
- Abstract–95% complete, waiting for comments from Advisor
- Chapter 1–95% complete, needs a figure and some formatting changes
- Chapter 2–90% complete, still waiting to hear back from Advisor on this one, for some reason, it’s taking him a long time to get this chapter to me, probably because he’s looking at it as a journal article, not my thesis chapter
- Chapter 3–98% complete, needs some formatting changes
- Appendix A–50% complete, needs materials and methods section, and to be sent to Advisor for comments
- Appendix B–90% complete, waiting for comments from Advisor
- References–70% complete
- Table of Contents–not started
- List of Figures–not started
- Acknowlegements–not started
I’m trying to get my defense scheduled for the last week in April. That means I need to get my thesis to my committee by April 12 at the latest (departmental rules). Since I’ll be shipping my thesis, my actual due date is a little earlier than that. I’m still not sure how I’m going to get 4 copies of my thesis, my little inkjet would die if I tried to make it spit out that many pages. Probably, I will go to Kinkos. So, let’s say my due date is April 5. I think I’m in pretty good shape as long as Advisor gets back to me relatively soon with the comments on the chapters I need.
State of the Mind
Improving. I still get anxious and a little ill thinking about my defense. My depression has been holding on for dear life and stubbornly refuses to go away, even with medication changes. However, we did make one change recently that improved things somewhat. Enough that I feel a noticeable difference. But, I’m still not 100% better. I spend a significant part of the day just laying down doing nothing, especially on days like today when it’s rainy all day. As you can see from the State of the Thesis, I have been working on my thesis a little every day. It’s not as much as I would like and for awhile I was really worried I wouldn’t make it to graduate this quarter (which I MUST do because I’m paying my own tuition and can’t afford another quarter). But, recently I’ve been more optimistic about actually getting done.
The soul-crushing anxiety I was feeling before has gone away. That’s not to say I feel no anxiety at all, just that it’s a small amount compared to what I was feeling before. At least I can leave the house and I’m not spending time curled up into a ball crying because I’m scared of just about everything. So, overall that’s a huge improvement.
I’m seeing a new psychiatrist this Monday. It’s going to be interesting. I’ve only had one psychiatrist and I started seeing her in 2001 so it’s going to be very strange to see someone else. Also, I don’t want to give up my current doc. So much has changed in my life over the last year, having the same doctor has really given me a sense of stability. Also, she is fabulous. I know I need someone here because phone appointments aren’t the best method of treatment. But, that doesn’t mean I have to like it.
Can anybody recommend a good CD of harpsichord music? I’m wearing out the one that I have.