Two steps forward, one step back

Recently, I made some progress with the whole yeast permeablization/spheroplasting for IF problem that I have been having, but today I went back to not having any staining on my IF at all.  I know such is the nature of troubleshooting and doing science yadda, yadda, yadda, but this is really starting to get old.  On top of that, I’m not sure my committee truly wanted me to be spending this amount of time on these experiments.  True, they are the ones that suggested them, but that was when everything was working fine.  Now that it’s all gone to hell and I’ve spent weeks trying to fix it, I gotta wonder how serious they were about wanting this particular set of experiments.  Mostly because (and others in my lab agree) these experiments will not significantly add to my eventual paper (and thesis).

Advisor is on vacation.  Before he left, he said we would talk about this when he gets back.  By “talk about” I hope he means “drop these experiments and I’ll tell your committee to go fly.”

Advertisements